- How confident is your understanding of legal framework in which charitable Foundations function - fiduciary obligations and duties?
- How does your governing document restrict your use of assets, if at all?
- Do you have a clear sense of who your beneficiaries are?
Connecting Mission and Investment
- When considering an investment, what do you want it to do? What are the consequences of getting those judgements right or wrong?
- Do all members know and understand the approach to investing and granting in terms of impact on current and future generations of beneficiaries?
- Do you wish to perpetuate, maintain or grant-out the Foundation?
- What are the values underpinning your charitable aims?
Taking Advice and Making Decisions
- In what way are your decisions intentional rather than cultural?
- How might you benefit from support in developing an overall strategy in using assets to serve beneficiaries?
- Do those providing advice understand your strategy?
- What mechanisms do the Board and members use to support decision making?
- Can your foundation be more ambitious given the freedom it has to promote its charitable goals?